Monday, March 12, 2007

The Big Move - 12 Blocks

Wow has it really been a whole year in NYC? A year ago I still had two houses in California (North & South) and just moved into an apartment in Manhattan to start a new job with CBS.

A year later I was lucky enough to sell the Nor Cal house before the crash, so it was time to upgrade my crib in the city. The prices are still crazy, but was able to find a nicer place with two bathrooms, washer/dryer & 7 closets! You only understand that if you live here.

You would think that moving 12 blocks north would be easy, but its still a whole day affair. The good news about the move was taking inventory of my wine collection...which has been in the back of a dark closet.

Found some great finds including a '96 Franciscan Reserve Cabernet - this was a very limited edition, fantastic wine that I'll break out this week, a '94 Gaya Barbera, some magnums, plus a vertical of '98, '99, '01 LeDucq and a bottle of the new name of the winery '02 Ehlers Estate. One thing so significant about the LeDucq wines was the artwork on the label including Monet, Cezanne, Van Gogh, Rembrandt and Renoir. Who knew drinking wine would give me some fine art education. When visiting the Tate Modern museum in London a few years ago I was able to identify these artists from seeing their paintings on the wine bottles.

One of my biggest worries was whether Don Giovanni's (44th/9th) would still deliver their brick oven pizza to my new address - good news they do...all the way up to 60th!...just 4 blocks to spare. After a hard day unpacking I pair the pizza with a '97 Mt Veeder Reserve that was unbelievable. Nice 1st night in the new apartment.

The HDTV's are all set up and I'm ordering a Bistro Table for my cool bar stools from Seattle and will be having a wine party - house warming party soon.

-Brian

No comments: