Manhattan - Wine Spectator hosts a few events in New York every year, the earlier one was the Grand Tour.
The California Wine Experience is an opportunity to the best that California has to offer.
Most people will never get the chance to taste this many fine wines in one location. It would take weeks to visit all these Napa wineries.
This time I tried to keep the order of the wines tasted for future reference.
1) Snowden Cab
2) Shafer Hillside Select (first Wow wine of the night)
3) Spottswoode (nice)
4) Silver Oak - Napa
5) Staglin -this is their blend (2nd Wow)
6) St. Clement Oroppas (nice but the other wines were bigger)
7) Joseph Phelps - Insignia (still one of my all time favorites)
8) Pride Mountain
9) Quintessa (very nice blend)
10) Lewis Cellars (for all the hype on this wine I was disappointed)
11) Plumpjack (SF's Mayor Gavin Newsome is one of the founders)
13) Opus One (a meritage blend before the name existed)
14) Pahlmeyer (Napa Valley Blend - this is fantastic)
15) Rubicon (best vintage I've tasted from them)
16) M by Michael Mondavi (1st time I've tasted his wine - very nice - lots of fruit up front)
17) Peter Michael (nice)
18) Nickel & Nickel
19) Neiman (blend 1/3 Cab, 1/3 Merlot & 1/3 Cab Franc)
20) Stag's Leap Wine Cellars - SLV
21) Sterling (very nice wine)
22) Chateau St. Michelle - Syrah (odd that a WA wine is at the CA Wine Experience)
23) Domaine Carneros
24) David Bruce - Pinot from the Santa Cruz mountains.
and this was just on the 6th floor, now down to the 5th floor
Rochioli Chardonnay (one of my faves)
Darioush (beautiful tasting room on Silverado Trail)
Northstar Merlot (Another WA wine)
Araujo Cab - this is one of Napa's cult wine - fantastic!
Harlan Cab - another big Napa wine.
and topped off the night with Kevin from Bennett Lane - they used to call it Primus, but have dropped that moniker from their top of the line Cabernet.
There were some other great wines on the 5th floor that I didn't make it to:
Paul Hobbs, Dunn, Far Niente, Col Solare, Grgigh Hills, Chalk Hill, Groth, Girard, Hall,
Etude, and more.