This is the 10th annual Grand Tour for Wine Spectator and I've been lucky enough to attend the last 6, but this year it stops in
Here are the wines in tasting order and than a list of faves.
And what better way to start than a big
1) Chateau Margaux - 2004. WOW!
2) Robert Mondavi - Cab Sauv Reserve 2007 - Another WOW!
3) Rubicon Estate 2007 from Francis Ford - very nice
4) Chateau Mouton Rothschild Pauillac 2005 - it doesn't get any better.
5) Caymus Special Select 2008 - has 15% Merlot and very nice.
6) Chateau Pontet - Canet Pauillac 2008
7) Chateau Rolan de By - Medoc 2008 - I'm really developing a French palate in the last few years. This is amazing and its under $30 for a Wine Spectator Top 100 - Nice.
8) Chateau Smith-Haut-Lafitte - Peassac-Leognan 2008
9) Casa Lapostolle 2008 -
10)Vina Cobos Malbec 2007 - This is Paul Hobbs from
11) St. Clement Cab Sauv Oroppas 2007 - This blend is
13) Hall Exzellenz - Rutherford 2007 - Have loved Kathryn's cab, but this the 1st blend I've tasted from Hall and its amazing.
14) Chateau Palmer - Margaux 2004. Only a few bottles left and we get a taste. Get my travel agent on the phone going to
15) Joseph Phelps Insignia 2006 - My Absolute Fave - and stands up to everything tonight.
16) Chateau Giscours - Margaux 2005 - I have to travel to Margaux region of
17) Chateau Brance-Cantenac - Margaux 2003 - ready to book my flight to
18) Chateau du Tertre - Margaux 2005 - This was my other Value Deal of the night - amazing Margaux for under $50 and it has 20% Cab Franc -LOVE IT.
19) Kanonkop Paul Sauer 2005 - South African blend of 69% Cab, 9% Merlot and my fave 22% Cab Franc - had no idea they were making these great blends on that continent.
20) Chateaux Lynch-Bages - Pauillac 2005 - This may have to be the other region I visit in
21) Sterling SVR Reserve -2007 - Back to
Food and water break -hydrate, hydrate
22) Signorello Estate Padrone - 2007 - Very nice
23) Beringer Private Reserve 2007 - last year they were pouring a '96. This wine is amazing and have to get more.
24) Provenance Cab Sauv Beckstoffer To Kalon Vineyard - 2007. Wine from some of the best terrior in
25) Cliff Lede Poetry - Stags Leap District 2007 - 1st time I've had this wine and will make a point to visit this winery in Yountville. This was another WOW!
26) DeLille Cellars Chaleur Estate Red -
27) Kosta Browne Pinot Noir - Russian River 2009 - this is huge Pinot.
28) Sokol Blosser Pinot Noir - Dundee Hills Oregon 2008 - had to compare these side by side. More floral than Kosta, but like both...would really depend on the food, choose this one for Alaskan Salmon.
29) Domaine Drouhin Pinot Noir - Dundee Hills Oregon 2007 - really starting to like these Oregon Pinots.
30) Maison Louis Latour -Chateau Corton Grancey 2008 - A Grand Cru Pinot Noir based wine.
few more whites and it clears the palate and helps with the purple teeth. :)
31) Gunderloch German Riesling - 2007 - Das Gut!
32) Domaine Chandon Brut - Napa/Sonoma Chardonnay Reserve - Only Chardonnay grapes in this Californian Sparkling Wine - this would be very refreshing on those hot summer days.
33) Roederer Estate Brut Rose' -
34) Gloria Ferrer Brut -
35) Schramsberg J. Schram - North Coast 2003 - one of the best from
36) Louis Roederer Brut Champagne Premier NV - Great Champagne and its great to try all of these side by side.
37) Chalk Hill Estate Chardonnay - Sonoma 2007. One of my favorite Chards from
38) Planeta Sicilia Cometa - 2008
39) Hess Collection Chardonnay -
40) Dow Vintage Port - Quinta Senhora da Ribeira 2008.
And we're done - where are the sliders?
Some of the biggest wines of the night are highlighted - really loved Chateau Margaux, Insignia, Beringer Reserve, but was really impressed by two
Next Wine Spectator Event this October in