Monday, September 24, 2007

Big Week in the Big Apple

Monday - ratings day - the monthly breakout shows that our radio station has moved all the way up to #2 in NY its only a trend, so no Champagne yet. But Monday night I do break out a '2000 Silver Oak Alexander Valley - sadly it is slightly corked.

The ratings news makes the NY Daily News:
Oldies looking golden at WCBS-FM (101.1)
By DAVID HINCKLEYDAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER Tuesday, September 18th 2007
WCBS-FM (101.1) seems to have rocketed out of the box with its return to "the greatest hits of the '60s, '70s and '80s." while monthly audience estimates for radio are notoriously imprecise indicators, extrapolated figures released yesterday for August show this: Among advertisers' favorite age group, 25 to 54, WCBS-FM had 67,300 listeners in the average quarter hour, nearly double the 36,900 estimated in June under the station's old Jack format. That figure makes WCBS-FM the No. 2 station in the city for August among that age group, trailing only WBLS-FM (107.5 ). In June, WCBS-FM was No. 15. WCBS-FM also had the second-highest share of the total listening pool in August: 4.8%, trailing only WHTZ-FM (100.3). For WCBS-FM that's up from 1.9% in June. "We're excited about our progress," said WCBS-FM program director Brian Thomas. "I've never seen this kind of response to any station."



Weds - I've been wanting to attend one of these for years - Mercedes had a cancellation so I treat myself to the AMG Challenge at Pocono Raceway. It's a quick drive on I-80 West from Manhattan. The AMG Challenge is a racing school and allows you to drive the AMG Mercedes products in race conditions. My fave of the day the new CL63, E63 and the quick CLK 55. Instructors for the day are Tommy Kendall, Brad Noffsinger, Bobby Seymour, Al Unser III, Tony Hunt and my guy was Mike Liebl. Morning sessions include Road Courses and Timed Autocross - my time beat Al Unser - not bad....
In the afternoon - High Performance Carting wearing helmut, neck braces, and full racing coveralls - I win my heat in the prelim's then they take the top 8 times and let us go at it...I finish #2 in the finals - lots of fun. Next was Full Throttle Challenge in the very rare CLK 63 Black Series over 500hp in the coupe only 300 imported to the US -tits basically their F1 Pace Car without the safety light - I do the 1/4 mile in 4.5 seconds that is the fastest I've ever gone in a car.
Then finally open lapping on the oval at Pocono - you follow the lead car and the closer you follow the faster the lead will go - sadly the CLK 63 Cabriolet feels squirrley at 90 miles per hour on the bank while I'm trying to keep up with the lead car CL63, but it flies through the corners. Later I drive the E63 and my lead car is the same - so game on...this car is much more balanced and I surprise my lead by how I'm able to stay on her tail through the corners...she was impressed - I've never driven car this fast and had so much confidence - the AMG products are amazing and now of course I want one...
At the end of the day we have a Champagne toast (Moet White Star) - just a sip I still had to drive back to Manhattan...and on the way home suddenly 90 mph feels slow.

Saturday was supposed to be nice, but it rains so no golf or fishing, but do open a Chateau St Michelle Chardonnay and its a perfect blend of Flavor with a touch of Oak.
Sunday turns out to be nice - play a muni in Westchester called Saxon Woods walk the course and shoot 85 - its the 1st day of fall, but one of the nicest all year in NY. Later in the day open a Millbrook Reserve Cab Franc - not bad for a Hudson River Valley Wine.

It's back to work tomorrow - not ready for the weekend to end...

-Brian

No comments: