Monday, May 21, 2007

Trout Fishing in PA


Altoona, PA - Wow its been 20 years since I made it to opening day of Trout Season.

Why is this a good idea? its 27 degrees at first cast, the water is ice cold and I can't feel my feet.
But my friends are in town and wheter we catch fish or not it will be a party.

I head up stream and see guys catching trout right in front of me...I'm using night crawlers, but switch to wax worms (Yummy) and bam on 1st cast land a nice little Brown Trout. I throw it back. Couple more casts and a few Rainbow Trout, all released unharmed.

Now I can't feel my hands either so I head back to camp and where the party is underway.
Burgers on the grill, Middleswarth Potato Chips, Hoagies and ice cold beer.

But of course I did bring a couple of bottles of my old standards. 2003 - Franciscan Estate Merlot and when we eat the smoked Trout a 2003 Mt. Veeder Cabernet.

We've all put in $5 for big fish, but mine weren't keepers, but when I got back and saw this - its like OK who went to the store and bought a Salmon. The little ones in the picture are 12" - that Rainbow is a monster. Over 25 inches and 8 to 9 lbs!



After a couple of burgers and chips and a few cold ones I decide that to try out artificial baits. I know the wax worms are so enticing, but realize I've never caught a Trout on artificials.

This time I head downstream where that monster Rainbow was caught. I'm using a spoon and getting hits, but no hookups. Then I switch to a little Spinner and bam! 1st cast land a nice Rainbow...then a few more.

Our friend Carl has all the gear, he looks like a real fisherman...but no fish.
And at one point no one wanted to use this pink fishing rod they had. His girlfriend tries it and lands fish. So its not the equipment.

We've caught enough fish so its party time. Wow hoagies (a sub) are the best from PA, the smoked trout tastes great with the Merlot and Cabernet. And why not...I have another burger...sadly our party came to an end with the rain...but it was a good time and can't wait to do it again next year.









No comments: