Thursday, February 01, 2007

Bob Hope Chrysler Classic - La Quinta, CA

It was the weekend before the PGA week in the desert and the weather has turned cold - down in the 20's overnight. This totally messes up my schedule of 18 holes at dawn, breakfast quesadilla, quick work out and then pool side Modelo Cervezas.

The Bob Hope is played on 4 different course and is the only 5 day pro-am event in golf. Courses are the PGA West Palmer Private, Bermuda Dunes, Arnold Palmer's new Classic Club just north of I-10 and across the street from me on La Quinta Country Club. I see Samuel L. Jackson of Star Wars & Coach Carter fame tee off - very cool guy and a great golfer. Would like to tee it up with him someday. Next year the Silver Rock resort course will be included in the mix. www.silverrock.org

I get in 18 on the Mountain Course and surprisingly have two birdies in this round too, but alas 4 double bogies - the putter is working only 24 putts, which helps me break 90.

On Saturday always have to visit "Treasure of The Vine" at Happy Point (hwy 111 & Washington) they have a weekly wine tasting from noon - 9pm. Dustin is there with Shannon and they just celebrated their 1 year anniversary in business. They tell me the Winter months were fantastic, but in August the desert is a ghost town. Dustin has assembled another great assortment of wines to taste and it doesn't hurt that the NFL playoffs are on the Plasma TV too. (Hey can someone order pizza? and get me a bar stool - I'll just camp out here all day)

On the menu:

*2005 Louis Michel & Fils 1er Cur Chablis Moutmain Vineyard - $34.99 Have to say I'm really starting to enjoy the French style of whites. This is Zesty, creamy and a citrus finish - perfect for a hot day.
*2005 Merryvale Chadonnay - $18.99 You can immediately see the difference in color (daylight) and you taste the oak and oddly tastes like buttered popcorn on the finish. Great value and I buy a few bottles.
*2005 Bella Glos Pinot Noir - $39.99 Parker 91 points! Nice bouquet of cherries and pomegranate.
*2004 Elyse Nero Misto Red Blend - $23.99 . Nero Misto means mixed black in Italian. A blend of mostly Petit Syrah, there is Barbera and Primitivo too. There is a smoky layer and black licorice, great nose - Love it!
*2004 Turnbull Cabernet Sauvignon - $44.99 Big Bold California Cab - that my palate has been trained on.
*2004 Davis Family Vineyards Russian River Syrah - $38.99 Must say I love everything from Russian River - the ocean fog cools the grapes at night which produces great Chard's, Pinot and Syrah. Inky with coffee and chocolate on the nose.

I also pick up some more Flora Springs Chardonnay - now sold out at winery and a bottle of Cliff Lede Claret which I really love for the price. This fruit forward wine has blueberries, plum, and black currant. Blend of 82% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Merlot, 4% Petit Verdot, 3% Cabernet Franc, 2% Malbec.

Wow it's that easy to drop 2 bills, but the great wine is worth it.

On Sunday I wait through the frost delay and tee it up on TPC Stadium Course at PGA West. Pete Dye the designer really tests your skills on this one and for the 1st time on the Island green par 3 17th I hit land! Wow. Believe me I was happy to shoot 92 in the wind. Hopeful golfers had to go the Q school here to make it on to the PGA and some of them shot in the 80's.

My house is booked for Feb - it pays the taxes!...but can't wait 'til warmer weather for March's visit. Winter has finally arrived in NY it's cold and I'm starting to lose my tan.

-Brian

If you need to escape you can always stay there too - prime vacation times still available - check it out: http://www.laquintaresortleasing.com/resalehomes.asp?ListingID=21172642&DevelID=53&searchresult=Y

No comments: