Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Award Wining Wine List at West Bank Cafe

New York - One of the nice things about living in Hell's Kitchen is the close proximity to Broadway and the Theatre district.

For over 7 months I've walked by this restaurant and said "I need to try this sometime..." Well sometime finally arrived last week and I ventured into The West Bank Cafe on 42nd Street to check out the menu.

First thing I noticed on the menu was an award from Wine Spectator for their wine list.
The Maitre de tells me that the wine list at West Bank Cafe has been a source of pride and passion from owner Steve Olsen and his love of California bottles. They were one of the first to offer only West Coast Wines way back in 1978. (Back in the day when I was only legal for few months before they moved the drinking age back to 21 and when taste buds were attuned to Stroh's and Old Style in the Midwest)...but I regress...


Wow - another NY restaurant with a great selection of California Reds. The impressive wine list has several hundred labels including some big Chateaus and the big names including Cabernets, Pinot and some big names like Heitz, Far Niente, Opus, Pine Ridge, Joseph Phelps and more.


OK I'm in...Oh yeah what about the food? Let's just do the tasting menu and get a sample of what they do best and bring me the wine list, I'm looking for the best taste for the price.

Here it is...a Meritage disguised as a Merlot the 2001 Pine Ridge Crimson Creek Merlot a Bordeaux Blend of 76% Merlot, 13% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Cabernet Franc and 2% Malbec. Yes if they wanted to pay the price they could call it a Meritage it has 4 of the 5 noble grapes and no one grape is more than 90% of the blend. So we're drinking a Meritage at Merlot prices!

The chef starts us off with a Shaved Winter Salad. Second course was one of my favorites and a repeat - Peppered Shrimp Salad with Florida Grapefruit. On to the main courses - Grilled Halibut (that was amazing) and the sliced Duck was also a repeat. To top it all off...another bottle of Pine Ridge and the Chocolate Trio desert.

Have to say this has been one of the best meals I've enjoyed in Manhattan and is walking distance from the apartment.

The West Bank Cafe is busy 'til 8pm like most restaurants in the Theatre District. So one of the best times to visit is between 8 - 10pm. After the pre-Broadway crowd and before the post-Broadway crowd.

For Contemporary American Food with an award winning wine list check out the West Bank Cafe at 407 W. 42nd Str. 212-695-6909 www.westbankcafe.com

I'm finding them one by one...add this to your list of NY restarants with great California wine - I'll have to compiled the my whole list on a seperate blog.

This restaurant will be in regular rotation and don't forget on how to get the Meritage at Merlot prices!

-Brian

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it