Monday, September 18, 2006

Pennsylvania Weekend - Fishing & Wine

Now that I'm working on the East Coast I've been visiting our family cottage on the Juniata River in Central PA. Which is just over a 3 hour drive from Manhattan (me driving - 4 hours for others...)

The change of the season is in the air and the trees are starting to show some color.

Awaking early Saturday morning the mist is rising off the river. I put my surf shoes and bathing suit on and get my fishing gear ready to go wading in the river. Good morning! the water is already cooler than just a few weeks ago...that will wake you up.

Today's target - Smallmouth Bass - pound for pound one of the strongest fighting fish there is!
Wading upstream using top waters and in just over an hour I only have few bite from undersized fish. Mostly because the water is so low this time of year - it's been only up to my knees so far. Need to find some deeper water - as I approach one of the islands in the middle of the river it starts getting deeper - now we're up to waist level - deep water for this part of the river. Off to my left I see something chasing minnows into the shallows. Quick cast to the spot and Bam! A Bass goes after my lure and the battle is on...wow this fish is taking out line...we have a contender...the drag is screaming...I have to chase after this fish if we're going to see how big it is...running downstream I catch up to the fish...and finally bring it up for a good look - nice 2+ pound fish - which is big - I'm only using Ultra Lite tackle and 4 pound test - so its been a battle. I admire the fish and carefully take out the treble hook from his lip and place him back into the water. Nice...this spot yeilded over 20 Bass - in my childhood fishing the stream I never encountered such a sweet spot. But the water is low and this is the only deep water so there stacked up, hungry and competing for food. What a nice way to start the day...but now it's off to sample some PA wine!

Grape harvest season in all ready in full-swing in Pennsylvania. It begins about mid-August and ends about mid-October (which is also a great time to see the Fall Colors).

So what types of wine can you find in PA.? The terroir and moderate climate provides some of the best grape growing conditions on the east coast. With over 90 wineries in the state, the roster of award-winning varietals includes: Cabernet Sauvignon, Catawba, Cayuga, Chambourcin, Chardonnay, Gewurztraminer, Pinot Gris, Pinot Noir, Reisling, Seyval Blanc, Vidal Blanc, Vignoles - and, yes, even methode Champenoise! There are a few I'm not familar with, but its fun to come up with some new favorites.


1st stop only because the GPS in the Mercedes says its the closest - Benigna's Creek Vineyard
Nestled in the pristine Mahantango Valley. The winery is situated at the highest point in the valley and on a clear day, you can see across the Susquehanna River, over 30 miles. (useless waterway fact for $1,000 Bob? - The Susquehanna is the largest fresh water source of the Chesapeake Bay)
This winery produces a wide variety of fruit and grape wines. Bring a picnic and sit on the porch and beautiful rear deck. Wines include Late Harvest $ 15.00 to fruit wines like Raspberry $ 10.00 to the tolerable Hessian Red $ 8.50, nice Cabernet Franc $ 8.00 and Chardonnay $ 8.00. Yes the wine is a bargain, but to my taste buds its commesurate to the taste for my California palate.

Mount Nittany Vineyard and Winery is the next stop in Centre Hall, PA. Guess I never knew where the name of the mountain lions originated for Penn State Nittany Lions. OK what is this fascination with sweet wine in PA? You know I never liked the wine my parents drank...now I know why - Hold the sugar Bob!
Aside from their sweet wine - they had some respectable Pinot Gris, Chardonnay and Reserve, also some decent reds - Merlot, Cab Franc, Cab Sauv and this is the second time today I've seen the Chambourcin - a light-bodied dry red; nice fruit flavor forward, with a hint of oak. Reminds me of Chevry something from France.
Also try their Bordeaux Blend called "Montage". Lots of American Oak in use here...hey we're deep in the woods what do you expect?

Oops why didn't someone tell there was a Penn State game? Oh well they won so everyone's happy! Traffic sucks - game just got out. But we make it back to the cottage safe and sound.

Makes for a nice escape from New York City.

For more info: www.visitPA.com


-Brian

No comments: